KEMETIC MINDS
Civil Rights Watch — Daily Update — August 16, 2026

A Friday night Shabbat service at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue turned violent when a 46-year-old Bronx man reached the bimah, attacked a congregant and a security guard, and was later charged with multiple hate crimes (The Media Line, 2026; Washington Examiner, 2026). The mayor and governor condemned the assault, the city’s police commissioner called the synagogue “a place of comfort and peace,” and Israel’s consul general blamed the mayor — a dispute detailed below (The Jewish News, 2026; Washington Examiner, 2026). Here’s what the record shows so far.
- Charges: Larry Montes, 46, faces two counts of assault as a hate crime and one count of criminal mischief as a hate crime, among other charges, for the Friday night disruption at Central Synagogue (The Media Line, 2026; Washington Examiner, 2026).
- Bond: Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Janice Chen ordered Montes held on $30,000 bond just before midnight Saturday; prosecutors had sought $150,000 (The Media Line, 2026).
- Attack: Montes allegedly struck a 63-year-old woman, splitting her lip, then spat in the face of and headbutted a 65-year-old security guard while shouting antisemitic and anti-Black insults (The Media Line, 2026).
- Capture: An NYPD sergeant working a paid detail at the synagogue took Montes into custody at the scene; the disruption was caught on the synagogue’s weekly livestream (The Jewish News, 2026).
- Response: NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch, who grew up at the congregation, said no one was seriously injured; Mayor Zohran Mamdani and Gov. Kathy Hochul condemned the attack (The Jewish News, 2026; Washington Examiner, 2026).
- Dispute: Israel’s Consul General Ofir Akunis blamed the attack on Mamdani’s “sustained campaign of incitement” — a political allegation contradicted by the mayor’s own condemnation (Washington Examiner, 2026).
1. Hate Crimes: Shabbat Attack at Central Synagogue
The disruption came Friday night at Central Synagogue, where Larry Montes, 46, of the Bronx, allegedly sat through several minutes of the Shabbat service before approaching the rabbi’s platform and shouting “I am Hashem!” — a Hebrew term referring to God — according to a criminal complaint detailed in The Media Line’s report (2026). Video posted on X shows Montes raising his fist and shouting “Do you know who I am?” as two women performing a song moved away from the bimah (The Media Line, 2026).
Prosecutors allege Montes then struck a 63-year-old woman in the face, splitting her lip and knocking her to the ground; an NYPD spokesperson told CNN she suffered a small cut to her lip and injuries to her right forearm (The Media Line, 2026). He allegedly directed an anti-Black slur at a 65-year-old security guard, spat in his face, and headbutted him; prosecutors also said he called congregants “swine” and “fake Jews” (The Media Line, 2026). As synagogue security escorted him out, he also damaged synagogue property, NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch said in a statement carried by the Washington Examiner (2026).
An NYPD sergeant working a paid detail at the synagogue took Montes into custody at the scene (The Jewish News, 2026; Washington Examiner, 2026). Charged with two counts of assault as a hate crime and one count of criminal mischief as a hate crime, among other charges, Montes was ordered held on $30,000 bond by Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Janice Chen just before midnight Saturday; prosecutors had requested $150,000 (The Media Line, 2026). Tisch, who grew up attending the Reform congregation, called the synagogue “a place of comfort and peace” and said “a place of worship should never be a crime scene” (The Jewish News, 2026).
The attack unfolded during the synagogue’s weekly livestream, and clips of the disruption — including a loud popping noise and a woman exclaiming “Oh my God” — circulated widely, as noted in The Jewish News’ JTA report (2026). Mayor Zohran Mamdani called it a “despicable act” (The Jewish News, 2026), Gov. Kathy Hochul said Jewish New Yorkers “have every right to worship openly, proudly, and without fear” (Washington Examiner, 2026), and PIX11 (2026) also covered the mayor’s response. Additional NYPD resources were deployed, and police said there were no other known threats at the moment (The Jewish News, 2026).
“Larry Montes was ordered held on $30,000 bond during an arraignment before Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Janice Chen just before midnight Saturday.”
The Media Line —
Read the full report →
What’s Disputed or Unconfirmed
The criminal charges against Montes are allegations; the cited reporting does not include his plea or any statement from his defense, and the case is ongoing (The Media Line, 2026). Israel’s Consul General Ofir Akunis alleges the attack was “a direct result of Mayor Mamdani’s sustained campaign of incitement” — a one-sided political claim that conflicts with Mamdani’s own condemnation of the assault and has not been substantiated by any investigation cited here (Washington Examiner, 2026).
Montes’s reported history of mental health issues and previous robbery charges (The Media Line, 2026) has not been independently confirmed in the cited reporting, and the cited sources include no assessment of his competence or motive.
“The assault took place at the iconic Central Synagogue in Manhattan.”
thejewishnews.com —
Read the full report →
How to Verify This Yourself
- Check the Manhattan Criminal Court docket for the Montes case before Judge Janice Chen — the arraignment record shows the exact charges and the $30,000 bond decision reported by The Media Line (2026).
- Review NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch’s public statements, which detailed the charges, the on-site arrest by a sergeant on a paid detail, and the deployment of additional resources (Washington Examiner, 2026; The Jewish News, 2026).
- Watch the widely circulated clips from Central Synagogue’s weekly livestream, which captured the disruption and were circulated on social media and news broadcasts (The Jewish News, 2026; The Media Line, 2026).
SUPPORT KEMETIC MINDS
Enjoying this coverage? Back the work and find every way to connect with us in one place.
Kemetic Minds Analysis
Today’s verified reporting covered: Hate Crimes. Every claim above traces back to a specific, dated, fetched source — treat the Key Takeaways as the verified factual floor, and the ‘What’s Disputed or Unconfirmed’ section as the honest boundary of what today’s sourcing actually supports versus what’s still allegation or one-sided claim.
References
- The Media Line. (2026, August 16). Man Charged With Hate Crimes After Assaults During Shabbat Service at NYC Synagogue. themedialine.org
- thejewishnews.com. (2026, August 16). Assailant Who Attacked Congregant, Guard at NYC Shabbat Services Charged With Hate Crimes. thejewishnews.com
- PIX11. (2026, August 15). Mayor Mamdani responds after man charged with hate crimes in synagogue attack. pix11.com
- Washington Examiner. (2026, August 16). Hate crime charges filed after man disrupts Manhattan synagogue service. washingtonexaminer.com
Investigative Methodology: This roundup is generated once daily at 6:00 PM America/Chicago from live news sources published within the prior 24 hours, plus primary-source civil-rights monitoring feeds (SPLC, ADL, ProPublica). Every claim is grounded in fetched source text with an APA7 in-text citation; nothing is written from the model’s general knowledge. Every video embed is verified to be a real, existing video via YouTube’s oEmbed endpoint before publication — none are written by the drafting model. Pull-quotes are extracted verbatim from the cited article, never composed. No Wikipedia sources are used, and social-media posts (TikTok/X/Instagram) are only referenced when a real, working link to that post appears directly in a cited news source — this post does not auto-embed unverified social content, since a fabricated post link would be worse than no embed at all.
Stay Connected

